ANNOUNCE November 2009

Changes to our mailing lists incoming!

Mike Horwath <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:38:19 -0600

text/plain

Some changes to how we handle our mailing lists are happening.

First, we are changing software from Mailman (open source) to LISTSERV
(licensed by L-Soft).

The new software will allow you to manage your subscriptions to all
ipHouse email lists via a single web page, give you the ability to go
on vacation (hold messages, but not unsubscribe) and will change how
the message digest feature works.

Second, in addition to our main outage list, we are adding specific
product email lists to notify customers who only want to know about
maintenance and outages that might affect their specific ipHouse
services.

The new web interface is available via:

	http://lists.iphouse.net/

Instructions for setting up your password are at the bottom of this
message.

Today we have the following email lists:

	announce - general announcement list about products, services,
		sales, Join-Us-at-Event, etc.  This list has very
		little traffic.

	outage - general outage announcement list dealing with most
		anything on our network.  This list *should* have very
		little traffic but everything breaks sometime.

The archives for both of the above lists have been copied over and
imported into the new software.

The future:

The new list software operational and we are planning on having the
following lists (please note, the names may change a bit between now
and the actual roll-out).  I will have the new lists online in the
next day or so.  Please revisit the link above to sign up for any of
the new lists.

Outgoing Only Announcement lists:

	announce - general announcement list about products, services,
		sales, Join-Us-at-Event, etc. (already cut over)

	outage - general outage announcement list dealing with most
		anything on our network (already cut over)

	dsl-info - general announcements dealing with DSL services
		focused on changes, updates, outages, not for general
		marketing (NEW)

	dialup-info - general announcements dealing with dialup
		services focused on changes, updates, outages, not for
		general marketing (NEW)

	unix-hosting-info - general announcements dealing with web
		hosting services on our FreeBSD platform focused on
		changes, updates, outages, not for general marketing
		(NEW)

	ms-hosting-info - general announcements dealing with web
		hosting services on our Microsoft platform focused on
		changes, updates, outages, not for general marketing
		(NEW)

	colocation-info - general announcements dealing with
		colocation services focused on changes, updates,
		outages, not for general marketing (NEW)

	virtual-info - general announcements dealing with virtual
		server services focused on changes, updates, outages,
		not for general marketing (NEW)

	physical-info - general announcements dealing with physical
		server services focused on changes, updates, outages,
		not for general marketing (NEW)

Interactive, Bidirectional Discussion lists:

open subscription, unmoderated list(s), public:

	tech-discuss - discussion email list about technical
		<whatever> open to the world, bringing back the days
		of the old MRNet tech-discuss mailing list.  No idea
		as to amount of traffic or who the contributors will
		be but I bet ipHouse staffers will be there.  (already
		created) (NEW)

closed subscription, unmoderated, ipHouse customer private lists:

	iphouse-general - open discussion email list for our customers
		only, subscription itself is moderated, though
		postings on the list are not.  ipHouse staff members
		will be on the list.  (already created) (NEW)

	iphouse-suggestions - open discussion list about suggestions,
		commentary, or even requests for comments from our
		customers about products and services at ipHouse
		focusing on ideas for products and services,
		enhancements to same.  Not for discussions about
		pricing.  (already created) (NEW)

'closed subscription' means that while anyone can sign up, we will
only be allowing ipHouse customers access to the ipHouse customer
private lists.

Each discussion list will have basic rules to keep things civil and
persons breaking the rules will be warned, then moderated, then
removed and banned if abuse continues.  These rules are still being
written, though the common sense rules will be up very soon.

All discussion lists will be moderated by an ipHouse staffer as
required.

Again, the new website for managing your email subscriptions is:

	http://lists.iphouse.net/

To set up your password for your email address, do the following:

	go to the website above
	click 'Get Password'
	enter your email address into 'Email Address' field
	enter your new password into the 2 password boxes
	click 'Register Password'

The system will then email you a confirmation link verifying that you
are registering your email address and password with the system.

Once you have that confirmation email and have clicked the link
provided, go back to the site and click 'Log In', then enter your
email address and password.

From there, at the top of the page click 'Email Lists' to see the
public lists available.  Each list is subscribed to separately and
takes just a moment.

Note: If you were already subscribed to either 'announce' or 'outage',
your subscription was moved over already and you can look at your
subscription options for each of them.

Support can be reached Monday thru Friday from 8:00am until 8:00pm via
phone at 612-337-6340, or via email at [log in to unmask]

--
Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       [log in to unmask]
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is