LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  November 2009

TECH-DISCUSS November 2009

Re: Cell phones...

Dan Wood <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:37:21 -0600

text/plain

On Nov 8, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Mike Horwath wrote:

> First tough topic...
>
> What smart phone do you have and why?

iPhone 1st Gen. I'm not an 'early adopter', but it works just fine for
what I need.

> What smart phone do you wish you had and why?

iPhone w/ subspace data plan. ;)

I have had issues with dropped calls and iffy reception at times, the
throughput is kinda anemic at times. The Datacenter is one of those
places where it just works sometimes... and usually when I really /
really/ want it to work.

> What smart phone do you loath and why?

Jailbroken iPhones.

Yes, it is neat that you can run your own apps and have your little
victories against the Man, but when it comes down to it, you're now
the lucky owner of a mobile security responsibility. You now have to
handhold your handheld, keep it up to date and ticking, as opposed to
those of us who just use things the way they're designed and when bad
things happen, we have a reasonable place to point the finger.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/11/dutch-hacker-holds-jailbroken-iphones-hostage-for-5.ars
"Dutch hacker holds jailbroken iPhones "hostage" for €5"

I have had 'hackery' and 'works well enough for now' beaten out of me
in this job, both by co-workers and by experience. ;)

--
Dan Wood, ipHouse Customer Service
Phone: 612-337-6340