Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  November 2009

TECH-DISCUSS November 2009

Re: Cell phones...

Matthew Dixon Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:08:31 -0600

text/plain

>> I was at a dinner party last night and it wasn't at all a geeky
>> one. Of the ten or so people there, at least half had iPhones. And
>> in the course of the lively and non-geeky conversation, iPhones
>> were often being handed around to show photos and web pages that
>> were related to what was being talked about.

> Yah, the geek virus is jumping species it seems...

I see it a bit differently. Those weren't geeky people. And I don't
think they're likely to become geeky. That is, I don't think that
their using iPhones is the beginning of a process that will later
result in their arguing the merits of different MTAs and engaging in
Perl vs Python flamewars <wink>.

I think that most people would like to have handy access to various
sorts of information. And iPhones make having that easy and pleasant
enough that non-geeks are starting to do it. It's a bit like the
iPod. There were plenty of MP3 players before it. (I hear that there
are even some others now <wink>.) Plenty of geeks had pre-iPod MP3
players. But it was the iPod that appealed to cousins and aunts and
other non-geeks.

>> I expect that AT&T is busy upgrading its network.

> Speed isn't an issue to me.

Ah, sorry, I could have been clearer. I expect that they're upgrading
the capacity. I've had delayed SMSes and delayed voicemail
notifications in addition to dropped calls. So I sure hope that
they're upgrading their capacity.

Regards,
Matt