LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  December 2009

TECH-DISCUSS December 2009

Re: network management systems...

Nevin Lyne <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:15:02 -0600

text/plain

On Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:01am, "Mike Horwath" <[log in to unmask]> said:

> what do you like?
>
> We have been using NAGIOS v1 forever, and our old system can't support
> going to a higher revision.
>
> I am also working on the assmption I can use SNMP for everything, I
> really want to skip the additional load of NRPE + nagios-plugins on
> every host.
>
> Back to question one:  what do you like?
>
> I am beating on OpenNMS right now, very large package and requires a
> fair bit of resources (which I have available thankfully).
>
> I am beaing on, and not liking, Zenoss Community.  I have a query into
> them for their enterprise version to see if it is a better solution.
>
> I need to be able to monitor for normal things:
>
> 	ICMP of a server - simple, easy, effective.
> 	Port monitoring - like HTTP or SSH.
> 	Disk utilization including thresholding for alerts.
> 	General geeky graphing of whatever.

Count me in for wanting to know too.  I was not impressed by Zenoss Community and the Enterprise one has a fair price tag per system being monitored so never really attempted to review the Enterprise version.  I was playing with http://www.hyperic.com/ but it seems to best play with the monitoring agent which is based on a java environment running on each monitored host, at least the quick look I did with it before.  All of our servers are running RHEL v4 or v5 or Ubuntu server (8.04LTS at the moment), though of course would like easy setup to monitor snmp on Cisco 4500 switches, Netapp, F5's, etc.

So what is everyone using? :)

-- Nevin Lyne
-- Founder / Director of Technology
-- EngineHosting.com