LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  December 2009

TECH-DISCUSS December 2009

Re: network management systems...

Mike Horwath <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:57:41 -0600

text/plain

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:33:44AM -0600, Kristofer Pettijohn wrote:
> > From FreeBSD, nada, zip.
>
> Haven't tried, but I will.

Please do.

> > Windows?  Haha
>
> Windows 2003 is working by polling data from SNMP and/or WMI

I haven't done the WMI stuff yet, the SNMP hasn't been what I expected
unfortunately :(

> > when alerting happens, it doens't do anything but make a red colored
> > rounded corner box.  Yes, could be my virgin usage of it, but I can't
> > figure out how to set up any type of notification.
>
> There are a few ways for going about this.  Look for the "Alerting
> Rules" tab in the User preferences.  You'll create an alerting rule
> for each kind of alert you want, and additional rules if you want
> escalations.  You can make this as short/simple/easy as you want, or
> as complex as you want.
>
> I agree that the built in NetApp support isn't that thrilling, but
> we put in some good workaround even without using ZenPacks.  I want
> to re-visit the ZenPack idea though.  I'll have to respond with more
> detail on this later when I have more time, which I can do outside
> of this thread (if you are even interested).

I am.

I am not tossing Zenoss to the compost heap yet.

Buddy of mine has the commercial edition and loves it (mostly for the
python stuff).

I just want something with the basic features of Nagios, without the
configuration nightmare of it, plus ability to do threshhold
triggering, and to do this without me having to maintain agents on
every type of server I have on the network.

That's where it really causes me issues, the agent item.  Every system
I have supports SNMP and that is my lowest common denominator.  Adding
another constant daemon...adds vectors of issues, security problems,
and resources better used for the servicing of data.

There are benefits to agents though!  Don't get me wrong.  If I find
the right system and it has agents for everything I run, and can
proactively send data (agents can do that) without waiting on poll
intervals, I'd reconsider.  (Zabbix has this, but otherwse doesn't
seem to have the rest).

Another issue I have is that Nagios seems to be really the only
monitoring platform with a backoff procedure before firing off an
alert, and the concept of a service (or host) flapping and suspending
notifications for such for a short period of time.

--
Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       [log in to unmask]
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is