SPOTD January 2010

First Post!

Dan Wood <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:40:08 -0600

text/plain

I had earlier helped a customer set up their DSL modem and gotten them started on the wireless setup. This sounded pretty easy as they had stated that they had two adolescents in their home who had their own computers...

After a bit, one of the adolescents calls the support line and hit me in the forebrain with the following:

"This is a desktop and doesn't have wireless, when I disconnect the network cable, I can't get it to connect to the internet. How do I get it to work?"

Now, when someone asks a support tech this sort of question, there is a small lagtime as their brain is deadlocked by the obvious answer, the snarky answer, another line of query to elaborate on the situation, and fear that the call is going to go downhill further.

Please, think of the support tech you call...

--
Dan Wood