]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  January 2010

TECH-DISCUSS January 2010

UNIX shell services in place and ready to go

Mike Horwath <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:26:21 -0600

text/plain

GUESS WHAT?

Service is ready to go, and about damn time!

Sales knows what needs to be done - drop them an email or call them
up, contact information is on our website.

As a legacy type service, none of this is automated.  Be patient while
we get the accounts set up.

Cost is $60 per year without an ipHouse access account (credit card
and yearly only, no prorated refunding, no setup fee), or included (by
request) if you have an ipHouse access account (access means some type
of connectivity account including colocation or other Internet access
service).

Email addresses are user AT ipshell.com.

Legacy customers using the domain of shell.iphouse.com will be
transitioned over, a separate email will be going out to them in a bit.
The old email addresses ending in said domain will also transition
over via forwarding from ipMom or via shell .forward files.  The old
server will be decommissioned towards the end of March.

Sales has the data and things are ready to go.  Call them up or drop
them email.

This is ipHouse service with a twist...normal ipHouse support is *not*
included.  Instead a dedicated email alias was created.  Doug and
myself will be doing the support, and I'll be doing the OS and
software maintenance.

Basic info:

      Ubuntu server (howler.ipshell.com)
      FreeBSD server (woolly.ipshell.com)
      procmail for filtering
      email stored in Maildir format (home directory)
      POP/IMAP access (including SSL and STARTTLS) to read email
      SMTP access (including SSL and STARTTLS) to send email
      webmail (via Roundcube) via SSL
      gcc + development libs (I bet something was missed, tell us)
      tf (fun to see people still playing MUDs)
      screen (cause it is cool)
      front-end anti-spam systems do the bulk of the work
      vi and emacs are installed, of course!
      NFS storage provided from our production NetApp gear

!!BEGIN WARNING!!

2 different servers means 2 different versions of most everything.  I
have *zero* interest in maintaining hand built matching binaries on
each system.  Where I could...I matched as best I was able.

Maildir creates new challenges to you as the users of the system.  I
live with Maildir every day, so does Doug, it is easy and simple, but
completely different than mbox.  The old mbox format is horrendous and
locking over NFS is problematic.  Maildir supports concurrent access
to the mailbox structure via many applications at once.

Any and all patching will be done during the business day, and if a
reboot is needed, it will be done.  I will try to minimize the
interruptions to the best of my ability.

Access to the mail server itself is forbidden, you work the shell
servers, I'll work the mail server.

Web services are *not* ready yet, you're welcome to provide us
feedback via our shell support address.

!!END WARNING!!

Systems are virtual, and I'll be monitoring them for performance and
tuning as necessary.

Disk quotas are quite generous. Please don't abuse world writable
temporary areas.

--
Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       [log in to unmask]
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is