Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  March 2010

TECH-DISCUSS March 2010

Re: IPV6?

Matthew Dixon Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:21:54 -0500

text/plain

[Doug McIntyre]
> ISPs are going to squeal if the only way they can get customers
> online is through ISP-wide NAT

How many users can be served by a single NAT device? There are enough
port bits for some thousands, I'd suppose, but does that work in
practice?

And to ask the question from the opposite direction, how many
public-facing IPs will the next Google or Facebook need?

> But yet, of all the Tier-1 uplinks we've had/dealt with, none of
> them provide native IPv6 into the TwinCities yet.

> I'm currently getting TWTC to do it, but it was a special case and
> process going on 4 months so far. Then we can switch out of the
> tunnel to the EastCoast that we have currently.

Is that for testing or does any customer data go over it (if you're
willing to answer)?

> And only after a large ISP can't get more IPv4 blocks and have to
> deploy IPv6 to customers, will they demand cheap CPE that can talk
> IPv6 from the CPE vendors.

So there will probably be a limited selection and they will probably
be rushed out. So it would be easy to imagine a big deployment of
hardware with likely buggy firmware. It will be just like the good
old days!

(Has anyone else been following http://www.wiredreread.com/ ? I'm not
sure I like the memories it brings back, but it sure brings them
back.)

> But yet, we're probably set for a bit on what we need in IPv4
> space.

That's good at least.

Regards,
Matt