LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  November 2010

TECH-DISCUSS November 2010

Re: pokey poke!

Mike Horwath <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:16:09 -0600

text/plain

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 10:30:27AM -0600, Matthew Dixon Cowles wrote:
> >> Interesting. I seem to recall that Solaris was a bit cleverer
> >> about disks that most Unix-y OSes. Am I right in assuming that
> >> they're taking advantage of that?
>
> > Oh my yes.
>
> > ZFS is absolutely awesome - read up on it - quick googling will get
> > you a ton of info on it.
>
> Ah, thank you. I'm pretty sure that I ran an early version of that
> on a Sparc 20 in the 90s. I forget what it was called, but it was a
> huge kernel patch that enabled Solaris to do RAID and failover in
> the kernel.

That may have been the old SUN ODS (or whatever it was called).

ZFS is over the top in comparison.

> It worked admirably. Alas, it didn't do me a whole lot of good on
> that machine because when I was replacing a drive that had failed,
> the identical drive that held the mirror also failed.

Online Disk Suite (that's the name!) was not much fun to me :(

> It was an interesting lesson to me on the tradeoffs inherent in
> making things more reliable by making them more complicated.

ZFS is both reliable (so far for me) and not very complicated at all.

Nexenta even makes it web enabled for you...

--
Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       [log in to unmask]
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is