Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  November 2010

TECH-DISCUSS November 2010

Re: pokey poke!

Matthew Dixon Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:44:11 -0600

text/plain

> That may have been the old SUN ODS (or whatever it was called).

> ZFS is over the top in comparison.

>> It worked admirably. Alas, it didn't do me a whole lot of good on
>> that machine because when I was replacing a drive that had failed,
>> the identical drive that held the mirror also failed.

> Online Disk Suite (that's the name!) was not much fun to me :(

That's it! I do recall its being something of a nuisance to
configure. But it seemed to work well for me once it was. Alas, there
wasn't much it could do about two identical disks that were treated
identically for some years from failing within a day or two of one
another

Obviously, ZFS is a lot more capable. But I think I recognize a bit
of its origin there.

> ZFS is both reliable (so far for me) and not very complicated at
> all.

> Nexenta even makes it web enabled for you...

That sounds cool. I should think up a reason that I need to store 12
TB of data.

Regards,
Matt