Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TECH-DISCUSS Home

TECH-DISCUSS  June 2011

TECH-DISCUSS June 2011

Any experience with Duplicity?

Matthew Dixon Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

Technical Discussions List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:53:33 -0500

text/plain

I've been thinking about going (almost) all digital for my
record-keeping. Kind of like this guy:

http://stevelosh.com/blog/2011/05/paper-free/

Of course there are various considerations that would need to be
addressed before doing that. One of them is encrypted offsite backup.

That guy uses Backblaze and probably it's a perfectly good service.
But it's opaque. I have no way of even having a fairly good idea how
secure it is.

I never supposed that Dropbox was secure, but lots of people did.

Doing it myself using Duplicity looks like it might be promising. It
seems to be written in Python and to be pretty flexible. It will
backup to Amazon S3 and I might even be able to persuade Mike to
provide a suitable service for the back end.

On the other hand, it does look like it's trying to glue a lot of
things together. Rsync, GnuPG, FTP, WebDAV. Really, FTP? And what the
heck is HSI in this context? I can imagine something pretty
Frankenstein-y coming out of all that. And can it possibly be
efficient?

In any case, I'd be glad to hear people's opinions.

Regards,
Matt