ANNOUNCE January 2016

ipHouse SPAM filtering changes for 2016

Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:56:12 -0600

text/plain

Welcome to the New Year!

We have a change to announce out to all our mail users. Our current
Anti-SPAM vendor is shutting down operations, and we've been testing a
new solution for our customers.  Internal and beta testing phases are
complete, and now we are ready to roll it out to everybody.

The new vendor is EdgeWave, Inc. and is a security solution provider
that has been around since 2003. It will still be a high-available cluster
located in our data center, so it'll be up and available even if one
machine dies. The machines are enterprise class, well provisioned
machines, so we expect them to last for some time.

We evaluated many providers, and EdgeWave had a good fit for how we
want the service to work, and is very compatible with what everybody
is used to.

You will still be getting a quarantine report each day, the filtering is very
compatible with what we are currently doing. And if you don't want to
change anything you do now, you don't have to. It'll work exactly how
you get notified now.

BUT, if you want to have a little more control, you can now login to the
quarantine area ahead of the digest being sent out by visiting
https://mxfilter.iphouse.com/console/ and logging in as your email address
and password (after your email is cut over to the new solution), or
the easier way is to follow the link provided in one of your existing
quarantine reports.

Also in your personal control panel, you can add whitelists and
blacklists of email you want to get (friends), or email you want to
block (enemies).  You can also control your digest settings (ie. get
one only once a week, or never at all).

We do know with change, things aren't always quite the same. Please
give the filter a little bit of time to learn what is bad email and
what should be good email. It may catch a little more than you are used
to the first few days (it'll probably be good to check your new
Quarantine emails next week), but after it got going, we found the
filtering level where we are used to.

One small change is the handling of "bulk generated email" (ie. Facebook updates,
marketing email from companies, etc) has a new category that by default will
be delivered to your inbox, but tagged in the subject line as 'ADV:'.
I find it very easy to sort my inbox based on that tag and go through the bulk
email quickly.

But, if you don't like that, you can change that in your Personal Control Panel
to not tag it at all, or not even deliver the bulk email onto your normal inbox.

If you should get a SPAM, you can report it by forwarding the bad email as
an attachment to [log in to unmask]

We plan on cutting over domains starting on the afternoon of 1/18/2016.
For most of our customers, you won't have to do anything.

We will be contacting domain holders that have DNS offsite to get the changes
needed as we go along.

We plan on having everything cutover, and then at least two weeks of
quarantine available on the old setup to be done by 2/29/2016, when
the MailFoundry appliances will be decomissioned.

If you have any questions, certainly let our customer support people know!
Email at [log in to unmask], or call us at 612-337-6340.

Thanks!

                    ~.~ ipHouse ~.~