Re: MICE Remote Switch Policy

Jeremy Lumby <[log in to unmask]>

MICE Discuss <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:00:00 -0500

text/plain

A few of my opinions on the topics that Richard brought up/relayed for others:

For the most part I think the approval of remote switches should be discretionary.  With that being said I think there should be a few stipulations.  There should be minimum criteria to be met in order to even consider the proposal.  My reasoning for the minimum criteria is to save time and effort since MICE is almost all volunteer based, and I am in favor of keeping it that way.  I am in favor of the following minimums for a remote proposal:
-Dedicated switching hardware
-Minimum of 5 participants interested in connecting immediately
-66% utilization upgrade threshold
-Agreement that the switch operator will enforce, and keep up with MICE technical requirements
-Agreement that the switch operator will cover all costs of operation including uplink, and MICE fees
-Agreement that the switch operator notifies all participants that they are connecting to a remote switch, as well as is the primary source of support for connected members.

If the agreed upon minimums are met then the proposal should go to the membership for discussion (for a fixed amount of time), and then the board for approval.  I do feel that if board members were to vote against it, it should be for a reason that was discussed publically on the list first.

On a somewhat related topic I have had a few different datacenters inquire about getting a MICE managed core switch installed.  I think there should be minimum standards established for a core switch as well to save time and effort.  In general I think they should be much greater than the list above.

With respect to the location of a remote switch, I think distance is not an issue, and in some ways it is an advantage.  When someone connects to a remote that is far from the core, everyone knows it.  The location of the switch is documented on the participants page, and all of the members connecting through it are indicated as so.  This gives network admin the ability to easily identify, and adjust their BGP metrics accordingly.  I also like the idea that Jay proposed for communities that identify remote switch participants.  If someone were to argue that distance was a negative, they would first need to propose blocking anyone connecting to the core across a long-haul circuit from outside of the metro.  In cases of long-haul to the core, the only one that has a clue that it is going on is the participant themselves leaving all other members clueless.  I have received several inquiries from members about high latency to certain peers who long-haul into the MICE core.  I am often unsure if I can divulge their remote location to the person asking since often times the only way I know is based on the carrier listed on the cross connect tag going into the core (which is not public knowledge like the participants page is).

As to the dedicated hardware requirement I would also like to state that in general I feel that if someone is serious about increasing connectivity to MICE, they are willing to spend the money for the hardware (not just trying to save on a cross connect for a friend), and also willing to spend the time to be the first line of defense when it comes to troubleshooting.  Not to mention the much simpler config/troubleshooting that comes along with dedicated hardware, this all keeps the load off of the volunteers running MICE.

I do not feel that any NEW minimum requirements should apply to existing switches.  I think they should still be bound to their original proposals (within reason).  I believe that all of those proposals would include enforcing current MICE rules on their switch (such as number of MAC addresses, and BPDU error disables)

As for a disincentive for CDN's to connect, I have only seen the opposite.  Most CDN's will only accept a connection to the core.  The only time I have seen them connect to a remote was for a secondary connection to gain switch diversity.

As for broadcast traffic I agree that it can get more dangerous across a long-haul link, however I think a larger issue is the lack of enforcement of good router config hygiene.  To that point, a quarantine VLAN helps detection/enforcement before the problem gets out of hand.  The complexities it leads to would be another reason to support requiring dedicated hardware for remote switches.

Jeremy Lumby
Minnesota VoIP
9217 17th Ave S #216
Bloomington, MN 55425