Today at approximately 3:55PM lasting until approximately 4:02PM,
there was an outage because of a misconfigured ethernet switch.

The switch was reconfigured and data started flowing normally again.

The problem started because a router was being prepared for our next
OC12c to the Internet - and a software update was done on the router
and the router rebooted.

During the reboot cycle, the switch was passing traffic to both of the
core routers, one of which was currently rebooting.  This caused
packets to be dropped.  This should not have happened.

The configuration of this switch had been reset some time ago when our
OC12c to Qwest IP (qwest.net) was changed from bare fibers onto our
OC48 MUX.

When the OC12c was cut over, the secondary router (the one rebooted
today) had been configured to take on the OC12c from Qwest, once the
lines were tested clean and traffic was running correctly, the OC12c
was then moved back onto the primary router.

This left over configuration is what caused the short outage today.

Something positive - we are gearing up for our second OC12c to the
Internet.

Support can be reached Monday thru Friday from 8:00am until 8:00pm,
Saturdays from 11:00am until 4:00pm via phone at 612-337-6340, or via
email at [log in to unmask]

--
Mike Horwath                                    [log in to unmask]
                         ipHouse - Welcome home!