Hello, my name is Bil MacLeslie and I'm the CEO of ipHouse.  I want to
personally apologize for todays outage.  I'm sincerely sorry this happened
and affected so many of our customers.  I also want to thank all of our
customers for their patience while we restored power and got things back to
normal.  Thank you!

This morning at approximately 8:51am a 480v circuit breaker tripped,
shutting down power to an integrated 480v/208v transformer & PDU (power
distribution unit).  This caused a power outage for some of our colocation
customers who are fed power from this PDU.  At 9:32am, power was restored
to the PDU and by 9:56am all circuits were back on.  I personally staggered
powering circuits back on to watch for an overload condition.

The NEC (National Electric Code) requires that the maximum circuit load be
80% of the rated capacity of the circuit breaker, e.g. 16A maximum on a 20A
breaker.  We regularly take power readings from each circuit and maintain
power utilization within the requirements of the NEC.  When reading power
utilization today, we found nothing that would cause the 480v circuit to be
overloaded.  All indicators show that the circuit is not overloaded, nor is
the PDU overloaded.  The true cause for the breaker being tripped will
likely never be known, but does not appear to be from overloading.

Because of this outage, some customers have had equipment failures that are
indicative of a voltage surge on the system.  The UPS and PDU system is
protected by a transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS) and we are
investigating the aspect of a surge further.  We are also currently
investigating to see if the UPS contains data that may shed some light on
the situation.  As we get more data, we will provide it to you.

One last note.  Moments like these are trials that test the mettle of the
people who make this operation run.  My thanks goes out to my staff, who
answered the calls, took the heat and made things work under stressful
conditions.  Thank you.

If you have any questions for me, please send them to [log in to unmask]

Support can be reached Monday thru Friday from 8:00am until 8:00pm,
Saturdays from 11:00am until 4:00pm via phone at 612-337-6340, or via
email at [log in to unmask]

--

Bil K. MacLeslie - TGWGTD - ipHouse   http://www.ipHouse.com/