(I know it looks like a repeat - but it is what I work on every 6 months)

During the next few weeks, I will be doing operating system updates on
most of our servers.

Since most of our servers are clustered these updates will have
minimal to no impact on services to customers.

Updates for servers that aren't clustered will occur overnight so as
to reduce impact to services on our network.

My goal is to do updates every 6 months on our servers to make sure we
are staying up to date.  The last update was done mid-March, 2010.

Security updates are updated as they are released and the updates that
will happen next few weeks are not because of security related issues
or notices.

Updates that will occur:

	FreeBSD:
		clustered inbound greylisting SMTP servers (virtualized)
		clustered outbound SMTP servers (virtualized)
		clustered delivery SMTP servers (***more below)
		clustered POP/IMAP servers (virtualized)
		clustered WWW servers (virtualized)
		clustered webmail servers (virtualized) (already updated)
		NNTP servers
		master authentication server (***more below)
		clustered slave authentication servers (***more below)
		primary DNS (domain hosting) servers (virtualized)
		caching DNS (domain resolution) servers (virtualized)
		rbl DNS (blacklist hosting) servers (virtualized) (updated)
		syslog server(s)
		web-log server (virtualized)
		legacy shell server (depreciated)
		new shell server(s) (virtualized)
		legacy BSU web cluster database server
		legacy backup MX server (***more below)

	Solaris:
		backup servers (already updated)

	Windows:
		billing servers
		Frontpage, ASP, ASP.NET, MS-SQL, and IIS servers

	Managed servers:
		reviewing software and operating system needs

And now the (more below) commentary.

Items marked above with 3 *s are special case items that are getting
more than just an operating system update as we move into the
virtualized server world.  These systems require a little more work as
there is more going on than a simple change on a server.  This is a
continuing movement and requires quite a bit of coordination.

As you can see from the list above, we have many of our servers (as
operating systems go) are virtualized.  23 physical servers have been
removed from the data center with 9 new ones installed.  These 9
servers have allowed changes to our internal networking allowing
better utilization of our resources as well as adding capacity to our
web server farm.

Support can be reached Monday thru Friday from 8:00am until 8:00pm via
phone at 612-337-6340, or via email at [log in to unmask]

--
Mike Horwath                                    [log in to unmask]
                         ipHouse - Welcome home!