>> Interesting. I seem to recall that Solaris was a bit cleverer
>> about disks that most Unix-y OSes. Am I right in assuming that
>> they're taking advantage of that?

> Oh my yes.

> ZFS is absolutely awesome - read up on it - quick googling will get
> you a ton of info on it.

Ah, thank you. I'm pretty sure that I ran an early version of that on
a Sparc 20 in the 90s. I forget what it was called, but it was a huge
kernel patch that enabled Solaris to do RAID and failover in the
kernel.

It worked admirably. Alas, it didn't do me a whole lot of good on
that machine because when I was replacing a drive that had failed,
the identical drive that held the mirror also failed.

It was an interesting lesson to me on the tradeoffs inherent in
making things more reliable by making them more complicated.

Regards,
Matt