On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 15:46 +0000, Mike Horwath wrote:
> On 5/13/11 10:43 AM, "Justin Krejci" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >>are
> >>
> >> You are correct, there isn't.
> >>
> >> This could easily run on the system that handles the statistics easily
> >> enough, just I have no idea how I would tie bird into a LG setup.
> >>

> >Looks like using its CLI will not be immediately compatible with most
> >(all?) LG tools out there which are seemingly mostly geared around
> >Cisco, Juniper, and Zebra/Quagga systems it seems. Unless someone knows
> >of a really great and flexible LG app.
>
> Yah, that was my finding as well.
>
> >Perhaps a small C/J router could peer up with the two servers to suck in
> >the routes and be used as the LG source and as a publicly telnet
> >accessible route server as well.
>
> There will be a Juniper in place soon - once that is done, we can look at
> putting it into the 'route' subsystem (this is *not* a requirement for
> operation of the peering point, in fact, it could create other issues if
> something breaks) but we could then query that for data.

If there will be a Juniper router already going into the network anyways
that would certainly work I should think. Then it can be polled by the
existing stats server you mentioned.

> >ALso OpenBSD has a good bgp daemon with their own bgplg toools (web and
> >cli) included.
> >http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=bgp&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD
> >+Current&arch=amd64&apropos=1&format=html
>
> We aren't using OpenBSD anywhere though...we are using BIRD.

A small OpenBSD server, even a small Soekris style box, can still suck
up a read-only copy of the routes from the route servers via BGP. No
real maintenance or overhead once its up and running. The only real
difference between something like this and using a C/J would be that
OBSD has all of the tools built in already, so it's a matter of
convenience and the general dependable security of an OBSD system. I
have a such Soekris box with a flash drive I could donate to the cause
as I've been looking for something to do with it besides accessorize my
desk. I only mention this as an option as I have used OBSD for a long
time and am familiar with it and it would meet the needs from what I can
see.