On 5/13/11 11:09 AM, "Justin Krejci" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 15:46 +0000, Mike Horwath wrote:

>>route
>>setting
>>They

>>easily
>> >>

>> >Looks like using its CLI will not be immediately compatible with most
>> >(all?) LG tools out there which are seemingly mostly geared around
>> >Cisco, Juniper, and Zebra/Quagga systems it seems. Unless someone knows
>> >of a really great and flexible LG app.
>>
>> Yah, that was my finding as well.
>>
>> >Perhaps a small C/J router could peer up with the two servers to suck
>>in
>> >the routes and be used as the LG source and as a publicly telnet
>> >accessible route server as well.
>>
>> There will be a Juniper in place soon - once that is done, we can look
>>at
>> putting it into the 'route' subsystem (this is *not* a requirement for
>> operation of the peering point, in fact, it could create other issues if
>> something breaks) but we could then query that for data.
>
>If there will be a Juniper router already going into the network anyways
>that would certainly work I should think. Then it can be polled by the
>existing stats server you mentioned.

...for a looking glass system.

(finishing your sentence :)

>> >ALso OpenBSD has a good bgp daemon with their own bgplg toools (web and
>> >cli) included.
>>
>>>http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=bgp&sektion=0&manpath=OpenB
>>>SD
>> >+Current&arch=amd64&apropos=1&format=html
>>
>> We aren't using OpenBSD anywhere though...we are using BIRD.
>
>A small OpenBSD server, even a small Soekris style box, can still suck
>up a read-only copy of the routes from the route servers via BGP. No
>real maintenance or overhead once its up and running. The only real
>difference between something like this and using a C/J would be that
>OBSD has all of the tools built in already, so it's a matter of
>convenience and the general dependable security of an OBSD system. I
>have a such Soekris box with a flash drive I could donate to the cause
>as I've been looking for something to do with it besides accessorize my
>desk. I only mention this as an option as I have used OBSD for a long
>time and am familiar with it and it would meet the needs from what I can
>see.

Sorry, I was being flippant with my comment.

I'll be direct: no hackery

When the new Juniper systems are in place, hopefully they are licensed for
BGP, and if that is the case, we can query that with a looking glass
system and use the current stats server to handle this.

If this does *not* happen then we need to research another solution.
Additional hardware should *not* be needed at all.

--
Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       [log in to unmask]
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is