On 9/20/11 19:54 CDT, Jay Hanke wrote:

> Frankly, I'm surprised at the outpouring of love for spanning-tree on
> the list. I've on more than one occasion selected a vendor with a ring
> or a virtual chassis technology to avoid spanning-tree in the core. I
> was also thrilled at the prospect of something like TRILL.
>
> Can someone take it on to make a design recommendation?

Let me be clear, I don't love spanning-tree at all.  But turning off
spanning-tree and praying you never have a loop is worse than
spanning-tree.  My personal design preference is to design your network
with a loop free topology at layer2.  Then it is possible to run without
spanning-tree.  Any redundancy is provided using LAGs, GMPLS or MPLS
transport technologies, not loops in the bridge topology.

However, you still run spanning-tree to catch mistakes, they will happen
and spanning tree will keep them from melting the network.  When the
network is built and is functioning as designed, spanning-tree has
nothing to converge, the network has a loop free topology.  In this
design, spanning-tree is only there to ensure the network is actually
built and actually functioning as designed.

When you are driving your car, if you see head lights coming at you on
the wrong side of the road, most people slow down and get ready to take
the ditch.  Rather than take a head on into the other guy, or into the
ditch, at full speed.  In this design, spanning-tree is looking for head
light on the wrong side of the road, rather than assuming it will never
happen, which is what you are doing if you just turn spanning-tree off.

David Farmer               Email:[log in to unmask]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952