> Frankly, I'm surprised at the outpouring of love for spanning-tree

I don't know anyone that loves spanning-tree, most people

have more of an abusive older-brother sort of relationship.

I'd lean toward STP being a necessary evil in a L2 environment

where physical control isn't absolute for all the reasons David

mentioned.  I also like a bunch of the things Andrew brought up,

but don't have a good feel for what the administration would

feel like.  It seems like I've spent the last 20 years either

being disappointed in the performance of simple designs or being

disappointed by the unpredictability of complicated designs...

Anyway, this morning I've changed the main Juniper switch bridge

priority and it appears to have asserted itself as the root.

Steve/Jay/Doug - can you guys confirm that things look correct

on your switches, I'll send you the Juniper's current settings

off-list.  Beyond that we can evolve in the direction the group

thinks is best.

Cheers,

Anthony

Anthony Anderberg