TL;DR

So vote, and quickly.

   keep Reply-To in place so that messages, by default, go back to the
   list for the conversations hampering easy (r)eply to author tiny
   (and private) conversations

   ignore Reply-To and let a bunch of tiny (and private) conversations
   occur and consider that users use a (g)roup-reply mechanism in
   their mail programs to keep public conversations going

I'll watch what I receive and make a final decision later today or
tomorrow.

My diatribe:

I find references to Mailman people talking about this, the URL you
mentioned and a few others.  (more than a few, the debate has been
going on for a very long time)

I am on the side of option #1 to keep conversations by default public
and list-bound (ie; using the Reply-To header).

I also consider the Reply-To header a perfect mechanism for getting
this done as this is a *discussion* list, not an announcement list and
keeping conversations within the list unless explicitly decided by the
end user.

More searching around this morning finds this:

Mailman uses the List-Post header (described in RFC2369) in some of
the mailing lists I am on but not all, and I am finding during my 90+
minutes of testing this morning that most MUAs don't honor this
regardless of what the RFC says.

FreeBSD mailing lists are Mailman and use the Reply-To header but not
consistently across the board.

All three anti-spam lists I am on use the Reply-To header and a mix of
Mailman vs home-grown list software.

Multiple Mailman lists I am on are using Reply-To for announcement and
discussion lists.  Discussion lists are running ~20% Reply-To
included, the other 80% are not.

Multiple LISTSERV lists I am on are using Reply-To for announcement
and discussion lists.  Discussion lists are running ~70% Reply-To
included, the other 30% are not.

BTW: RFC2822 is a proposed item and has not reached the final standard
level.  But that's the problem with RFCs isn't it?

--
Mike Horwath      ipHouse - Welcome home!       [log in to unmask]
        The universe is an island, surrounded by whatever it is