Personally, I'd vote for annual or quarterly rather than monthly in order to reduce the overhead in administering the fee collection process.

In general, I think there are both startup and recurring costs that MICE incurs per connection. I would, therefore, suggest that we have an install and an periodic charge.

Owen

On Oct 12, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Jeremy Lumby wrote:

Since all of the MICE expenses are recurring in nature, would it make more sense to have smaller fees, however make them monthly for all members?  Something like $25/month for 1 Gig and $100/mo for 10Gig plus the one time cost of optics.  If members do not want to take on these fees, they could possibly do some kind of donation of time, such as doing port moves/adds/changes.  I know that the labor in lieu of fees could get complicated, and some limits would need to be set (such as if a bunch of people wanted to do it, they would only be able to do so for a limited amount of time to allow others to have a chance as well).  I can foresee a time when the recurring funds will need to be built up to purchase additional switches, pay for IP blocks directly from ARIN, and replace failed/old switches/route servers.  I know that the donation of space, and power from FWR had a time limit on it, and those recurring costs will be coming up as well.  I feel now is the time to plan ahead/save up some extra money so when those donations run out the exchange will not hit a brick wall with members that would be sticker shocked by how much it would take to keep it going.  I think a little bit from every member over the years will add up to quite a bit by the time that some major expenses hit the exchange.  By that point in time, I think small adjustments if any in the monthly fee would be much easier to swallow for the members.  I think that anyone that realizes the value of the exchange would gladly pay to stay connected.  I am sure that the recurring fees would never need to be more than the cost of the cross connect which we are already gladly paying for, and the more people that join, the higher the value of the exchange, and the smaller the cost on a per member basis.  I do not think that the marketing of the exchange needs to be that it is of little to no cost, I believe it can be marketed as us sharing our knowledge of the benefits of the exchange with potential members, as well as making sure that they realize that the exchange exists.

From: MICE Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jay Hanke
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] MICE Port Fees

What is the funding model of the exchange now?

I go around and beg for donations whenever something pops up. (Thanks again for the annual ARIN fees BTW)

That was fine when it was a couple of ISPs and a switch but the exchange is quickly becoming a critical piece of infrastructure for the region.

Thanks,

Jay