Thanks for all the feedback -- it's as split as I anticipated. =)

-----Original Message-----
From: MICE Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Howard
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] New MICE Looking Glass

On 10/11/2011 09:14 AM, Mike Horwath wrote:
> This whole DNS thing on a router discussion is funny.
It was a logical discussion to determine what is best for MICE.  I'm
sorry if you find it insignificant, but I'm glad that you found humor in it.

> I can use DNS to figure out an area for the IP in question...
>
> I can enter said IP into a separate query afterwards to find an area in question...
>
> Which is faster for finding the info I am looking for?  Be realistic.
>
> I have used DNS in my routers and switches since IOS supported such.  Funny, so has Doug :)
>
> Sure, you can add latency to your output but it doesn't slow the packets down, and I sure as hell cannot memorize the Internet to figure out which city I am in or which provider I'm crossing.
>
> That extra few ms here and there still outruns copy/paste click submit every time.

Do a traceroute that has a few hops that haven't set up their PTR
records properly.  (Or in a VRF with no DNS, etc).   You will wait a
while for each hop to resolve.  You are correct in that it doesn't slow
the packets down on the network.  However, it greatly delays the time
between packets.  It changes from a few ms to several seconds per hop
(default timeout can be changed with "ip domain timeout").  Add this up
for a couple of hops and you must be really slow at copy/paste for it to
be worse.

I know that everyone should have all of their PTR records setup
properly, but it doesn't happen that way in the real world.
> Perhaps a company could run dedicatd nameservers for their networking gear, or just run better nameservers on their infrastructure.
Dedicated/better name servers won't solve anything when there is no
valid PTR record.

> Yah, i know that sounds condescending but I don't know a better way to phrase this this morning.

MICE is made up of many members that operate in different areas of the
"tech" industry.  What may seem best for your particular industry
segment may not be the "best fit" for the majority of MICE members or
the internet community.