On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:17:08PM -0600, Andrew Hoyos wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2011, at 9:01 PM, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>
> > mac address limiting to tiny numbers, especially qty 1 won't work.
> > There are a lot of administrative packets that go across a link coming
> > from specific well-known MAC addresses, if that administrative packet
> > gets in before any real traffic, that administrative MAC address will
> > be learned and real traffic locked out.
> >
> > (this is mentioned in the JunOS documentation).
> >

> That's why you get those 'administrative packets' to not happen in the first place.
> No offense, but I don't want to see your cdp/lldp, ospf, stp, keepalives, etc. coming across the IX.

There are other protocols that do take more than one MAC address that
some people might find required. For example, a JunOS RVI has two MAC
adddresses, the port address, and the RVI MAC address. I assume
a Cisco SVI would be the same, although I haven't dug into it.

Cisco UDLD also does broadcasts using a well-known MAC address.

I don't think it would be allowed anyway at the IX, but LACP and PAgP
are also ones to talk on different MAC addresses to setup the LAG before
talking real traffic.

          -- ipHouse/Goldengate/Bitstream/ProNS --