You have my vote

-----Original Message-----
From: MICE Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike O'Connor
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MICE-DISCUSS] would MICE be willing to designate me as it's representative to ICANN?

thanks Dan!

hm…

Dan's note made me realize that it's not the Old Days any more and that many of you don't know me at all.  so my terse little request comes out of the blue.  let me remedy that.  i'm extra thankful that Dan fired off that note.

i've been a fan and observer of MICE since the beginning, but except for lurking on the list and showing up at some of the meetings i haven't done a lick of work on this project.  i'd be happy to pull a little harder on the oars in exchange for your allowing me to pay for your membership in ICANN and being one of your representatives.

here's a link to my bio -- http://www.haven2.com/index.php/bio

here's a link to my page on ICANN-wiki (where you can find out about all kinda ICANN stuff) -- http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Mike_O%27Connor

you'll see on the ICANN page that i do a bunch of work on working groups -- mostly focused on the security and stability kinda stuff.

my problem with the Business Constituency has always been that it is quite tilted towards the interests of intellectual property owners and large corporations fending off cybersquatters.  it's not that i disagree with them, but i've always felt that the view of the business community should be broader than that.  and besides, there's a whole 'nother constituency that's supposed to be looking out for the interests of intellectual property.  so i've been toiling away for years trying to carry that broader agenda inside the constituency.

but this past few months have seen the constituency backslide a bit.  first with the way we were playing both sides of the fence in the US Congress on the introduction of new gTLDs and then with the SOPA/PIPA legislation.  so i'm getting tired of the ambiguity.  the nice thing about the ISP constituency is that their agenda is much less political and a lot better aligned with my interests.

so there's a bit more of the story, and a better job of introducing myself to those of you who don't know me.

sorry about that,

mikey