hi all,

since nobody threw their body on the ground and threw a temper tantrum, i've started representing us at ICANN.  i am happy to field questions about anything ICANN-related and if i can't come up with a solid answer right off the bat, i'm also happy to trundle off and ask People Who Know.

there are a few things to put on your radar.

-- new gTLDs --

there's been lots of press about the recent Big Reveal of all the new top-level extensions that have been applied for.  i won't add to that pile, but as i said, i'm happy to answer questions if you have any.  the ISP constituency, of which we're a part, is especially concerned about security, stability and reliability (since we're often at the sharp pointy end when things break).

-- DNS Security and Stability Analysis working group (DSSA) --

i've been leading this gang for about two years and we just published a first-phase report.  this is a group that's looking at threats to the top of the DNS itself (root and TLD servers primarily).  you can find a copy of our report behind this link

	https://community.icann.org/display/AW/Phase+1+Final+Report

as many of you know, i'm kindof a "methods" guy and there's a tailored version of the NIST 800-30 methodology built into this thing.  the methodology started out big and cumbersome.  we hated that, so we're working on boiling it down to something that can be used very quickly to assess and analyze threats.  if you're interested in the latest version of a 1-page spreadsheet that pulls the whole thing together, you can download a copy from here

	https://community.icann.org/display/AW/Risk+Scenario+worksheet

-- ICANN SSR role and remit --

i was the rapporteur for our ISP constituency on these comments on the ICANN's proposed role and remit when it comes to ensuring the security and stability of the DNS.  since i'm representing you as i write things like this, i'm really interested in hearing from you if you think i'm nuts.  to a certain extent this is insider type stuff, but i'm hoping that i wrote it well enough that it makes sense outside of the ICANN context.  any comments would be much appreciated.  here's a link to the public-comment area for this issue

	http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/draft-ssr-role-remit-17may12-en.htm

and here's a link to the comment i submitted on behalf of the ISP constituency

	http://forum.icann.org/lists/draft-ssr-role-remit/msg00001.html

-- Prague Meeting --

the next ICANN meeting is in Prague next week, where i'll mostly be pitching these two sets of ideas to people.  so let me know if there's anything you'd especially like me to emphasize as i'm working the hallways (and drinking beer).  :-)

that concludes my report,

mikey

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	http://www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)