> Jay, one problem with a method like that, is that there isn't a
> central router.  Everybody is talking all in the same flat space. If
> somebody changes to talk on their 206.108.255.0/24 IP address, then
> those that haven't changed yet won't know how to reach their routes.
> Thus breaking the exchange apart into those that have adjusted, and
> those that haven't adjusted. What more, the unconfigured people will
> see the new routes, but can't reach them.

I didn't specifically say it but I meant add an additional IP's to
each members interfaces. The next hop should follow the session IP.
Then set up sessions to the route-servers using both blocks. On flag
day we remove the old IP addresses (stick). New entrants would only be
assigned in the new block (carrot).

If you're not configured yet, you should see two next hops in BGP. One
on the old range and one on the new range with an unreachable next hop
which won't install in the FIB.

The minor PITA is legacy routers that have definite ideas on what
address is secondary. I don't remember off hand if a BGP session will
survive a move from secondary to primary on an interface in old school
IOS. I think it will drop it and then reestablish causing a little
outage. The current primary could be flipped to secondary when the
switches are down...