On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 01:33:13PM -0500, James Stahr wrote:
> We can remotely verify that everyone has configured a secondary IP,
> but that's just the start.  You've also got to duplicate ALL of your
> peer BGP sessions beforehand as well.  Why?  Well,
> I don't believe Cisco can initiate a BGP session on a secondary
> address so once a $C router switches their primary and secondary,
> they cannot initiate a BGP session.  Not a problem yet.  What about
> when the next one does it?  Suddenly neither of the Cisco devices
> can peer with each other..  I've not been through an exchange
> re-address, but given this limitation, I foresee many problems and
> the idea of a "flag day" much more appealing - luckily though, most
> participants are using the route server.

Yeah, I was thinking of that issue as well.

Perhaps subinterfaces could be used like

int gig 0/0
    ip address 69.147.218.100/24
int gig 0/0.0
    ip address 206.108.255.100/24

router bgp 65500
 neighbor 69.147.218.1 update-source gig0/0
 neighbor 206.108.255.1 update-source gig0/0.0

but I don't have anything to test that out with right now. (not using
cisco to talk to MICE right now).

But I think my two bilateral peers can probably wait for a renumber at
some future time as it is.

> Hmm... I assume the BIRD configuration allows you to specify source
> IP's to be used for each peer?

It looks like 'router id' is allowed per AS peer. Leave the existing,
and setup a new peer entry to the new IP with the new 'router id'.

          -- ipHouse/Goldengate/Bitstream/ProNS --