On Aug 21, 2012, at 14:07 , Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 03:54:19PM -0500, Jay Hanke wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Mike Bushard, Jr
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> I typically would agree Owen, but in this case it may make sense. Everyone
>>> will be down already, and we won't have multiple outages to the entire
>>> exchange for IP changes. There will be a considerable amount of work if
>>> everyone changes addressing on different schedules. I think just saying
>>> that on day x we are on the long term strategy will save time in this
>>> case. Our topology is pretty basic today so I think the rick would be
>>> minimal at this time.
>>
>> The time frame is pretty tight for everyone to coordinate bilateral
>> changes. Esp for the bigger folks.
>>
>> What about enabling the new IP addresses on the existing topology and
>> moving one of the route servers to the new block. Then setting a flag
>> date to remove the existing IP addresses 2 months out.
>

> I'm sorry I've been so under the weather, that I've been behind and
> haven't started coordinating the renumbering with my co-conspirators.
>
> Jay, one problem with a method like that, is that there isn't a
> central router.  Everybody is talking all in the same flat space. If
> somebody changes to talk on their 206.108.255.0/24 IP address, then
> those that haven't changed yet won't know how to reach their routes.
> Thus breaking the exchange apart into those that have adjusted, and
> those that haven't adjusted. What more, the unconfigured people will
> see the new routes, but can't reach them.

There's no reason people can't add the new addresses and migrate
peering sessions individually, one peer at a time, then remove the
old addresses once that's complete.

I think two months would be a bit narrow on the time frame, however.

> What follows is the plan I had in my head (but not communicated yet)
> until I saw the oppertunity to just do it all at once.
>
> We communicate everybody's new 206.108.255.0/24 IP & 2001:504:27::/48
> address, which almost certainly will just be reusing the same last
> octet as the current one.

Might I suggest on the IPv6 block 2001:504:27:0::/64 be used for the
exchange (we can use other parts of the /48 later if needed) and that
we number as follows:
	2001:504:27:0:AS:NO:XXXX:YYYY

Where AS:NO is the 32 bit as number and XXXX:YYYY is a number chosen
by the applicable AS to represent the specific router/port combination.
(Yes, 32 bits for router/port combinations is overkill, but I can't think of
a better use for the bits).

> Everybody does a secondary of these IP addresses on their MICE facing
> interface. This has to be completed by such-and-such date. We'd do
> spot checks with ping to make sure people have completed this.

I would actually suggest making the existing address "secondary" and
the new addresses "primary" to reduce future downtime.

> Meanwhile, we build duplicate BGP sessions in the route reflectors for
> when people are ready to cut.

+1

> After the such-and-such date, then people are free to cut over their
> BGP sessions to originate from their new IP, and connect to the new
> BGP session on the route reflectors.

I think the RS peering sessions can be cut this way, but suggest you
look over my earlier proposal for managing the peer to peer sessions.

> Finally, there is a drop-dead date when all use of the old IP ranges are done.
>
> This way, when somebody cuts onto the new BGP session, the
> unconfigured old people still have a way to reach the new routes
> (via. the secondary IP addresses configured on their interface). But
> their BGP sessions don't change until they want them to.

An excellent solution for the RS peering sessions.

> This way is slow, and requires 100% compliance in getting the
> interface secondary addresses, and then in the final drop-dead date.

Actually, it doesn't require 100% compliance. People can actually add
the interface secondaries at their convenience and everything continues
to work with their old address until they choose to cut over.

> OOTH, if everybody goes down for the switch cut, then people can bring
> up their session when they want to after the maintenance window, but
> that also means everybody has to be available to cut their configs
> over that night/weekend as well if they want to continue to talk on
> the exchange.

If everyone were only peered with the RS, I'd say this might be a feasible
approach. However, since they aren't, I'd suggest that we point out the
switch cut as a "recommended time" to apply the new addressing to their
interfaces and leave it at that.

Owen