> In light of this requirement, do we want to spell out that among the
> BoG approval criteria is the use of a model/brand of switch compatible
> with the knowledge/training of the current fabric administrators?

I don't think we need to go to that level of detail. I think requiring
a plan as to how the switch will be connected and maintained and how
issues are resolved would be sufficient.

> Have we documented the criteria for this BoG approval at all?

No, I just brought it up because the proposed pricing model
distinguishes between MICE ports for fees. I'd love it if someone
would take a stab at such a policy.

> Is that something we want to do, or just leave it as an assumption that
> all parties will work in good faith to do "the right thing" in this
> regard?

I think the connection and maintenance plan would suffice.

> I would clarify the definition as:
> A remote switch is any piece of active hardware not owned by MICE which
> connects more than one member to the MICE core infrastructure.

Agreed

> I would suggest:
> All costs and contracts required for remote switches to reach and
> connect to the MICE core infrastructure shall be the responsibility
> of the remote switch operator.

Agreed

>> Grace Period
>>
>> I'd advocate offering a six month grace for new members on either 1G
>> or 10G ports for new participants.
>>
> I think a 3 month grace period is probably a more reasonable compromise.
> I think MICE is well enough established and presents a good enough
> value proposition to be attractive to new members as is. I don't know
> of any other (paid) IX offering 3 months free service, let alone 6.

MICE is just cheaper, faster and better than any of the other paid
exchanges you've come across. ;)

>> Small Networks
>>
> I haven't had a chance to look over the spreadsheet yet, but if $500/year
> is the IP fee, that seems rather steep to me. To the best of my knowledge,
> an IX is treated as an end-user organization and not a subscriber member
> in terms of ARIN fees. That means we should have paid about $2,250 for
> our initial IPv6 and IPv4 assignments combined and $500 for our ASN as
> a one-time fee, but should be paying $100/year thereafter. We should
> never need more IPv6 (a /48 is realistically enough to run several
> thousand of the worlds largest exchange points) and I suggest we treat
> the cost of additional IPv4 space ($1,250 or $MARKET, depending on
> timing) as a problem to solve when we have more than 200 attachments
> to the exchange (I think that's a ways off and the cost of IPv4 by then is
> unpredictable at best, if it can be obtained at all.)

Who cares about v4 anyway? We'll just force them to tunnel their IPv4
over v6. ;)

>> Expansion beyond 511
> Agreed. Any seeding should probably be done by forming a separate
> organization and having MICE make an agreed upon (by vote of the members)
> contribution to said organization.

Exactly

>> Promotion
>>
> Factual questions (the answers to which might shape members thoughts
> on the opinion questions):
> How frequent are the UG meetings?

2 per year

> What is typical attendance?

20-45

> What level of facilities/etc. is required to hold a UG meeting?
>         +       Banquet room of a restaurant
>         +       Small Conference Room (essentially like a board room)
>         +       Large Conference Room (hotel ballroom in conference configuration)
>         +       Other? (please specify)

A good sized banquet room is sufficient. Although missing wifi the
last place worked pretty well.

> Other than space, what logistics/facilities are required?

Food/Drink/Speaker/Connectivity

Promotion wise, I was also thinking about sending representatives to
other non-MICE events to speak. Mainly for events that we can't cover
during our respective day jobs.

--
Jay Hanke
CTO, CCIE #19093