On Sat, 2012-10-06 at 11:15 -0500, Jay Hanke wrote:
> Remote Switches
>
> I'd further propose that remote switch operators pay their port fee
> but not an IP fee unless they are peering as well. Anyone who pays any
> fee is a member and has voting rights. Which is a change from our
> current requirement of having 1 BGP session. Any AS connected to a
> remote switch pays the IP Fee and the port costs are between them and
> the remote switch "owner".
>
> Remote Switch owners must provide superuser rights to MICE for their
> switches to provide common administration. I'd also argue the
> equipment switching must be dedicated. Remote switch operators are
> responsible for all the costs associated with running their remote
> switches. Addition of future switches requires Board of Governors
> approval, and likely some written agreement in the future.
>
> Remote Switches applies to attaching a L2 fabric to the network not
> transporting single connections.

If we do that, I'd like to propose also that ports be limited to one
MAC. Obviously, this wouldn't apply to ports between (any combination
of) MICE Switches and Remote Switches.

The Amsterdam Internet exchange is using L2ACLs for this with great
success.

Here'd be an example of what this would look like (with * marking ports
limited to 1 MAC):

+-------------+
| MICE Switch |---  1G * ipHouse
+-------------+
 |Stacking  |

+-------------+
| MICE Switch |--- 10G * UMN
+-------------+
  |10G  |
  |     +--------- 10G * Akamai

+--------------------+
| Mankato Networks   |
| MICE Remote Switch |
+--------------------+ <-------- MICE's authority ends here
   |1G   |1G   |1G
   |*    |*    |*
+--------------------+
| BBV Wiktel Vaultas |
|                    |
|  Mankato Networks  |
|   non-MICE Switch  |

For now, we'd treat the CNS switch as a MICE Switch (since it's loaned
to MICE), but if that changed, then it might be another example of a
Remote Switch.

CNS & Mankato Networks: Does the requirement to break each customer out
into the Remote Switch kill your business model?

--
Richard