The University received a courtesy call from the Doppler radar people at
KSTP about interference on the 5.57G band they use for sever weather
tracking.  Their next step is to call the FCC, but they would rather
whoever is causing this interference to stop, rather than have people's
gear confiscated, fines or whatever. We know at least a few of you have
wireless gear in the Dinkytown area thought we would pass along a note
along to all of you.

I'm sure most of you know this, but just in case you don't, if you are
running radio gear at or around 5.57 Ghz (Wifi channels 108, 112) you
need pay attention to this issue, especially in this part of town with
KSTP's radar nearby.  There are conditions to the opening of this
spectrum for public use that require shutdown in the presence of Doppler
radio. (often referred to as DFS)

(Publication Number: 443999 Rule Parts: 15E"
.
/FCC /.
October 5, 2009. "Devices must be professionally installed when
operating in the 5470 – 5725 MHz band")

Since KSTP's radar facility is just up the street from campus, it has
been our experience that it is best just not to use those frequencies at
all, they seem to run the radar all the time.  The dish they use has
very high gain, so something as small signal-wise as Wifi or cordless
microphones could be the issue. So, the source might not be outside and
may not be very powerful.

The vector for this interference is parallel to University Ave, and is
likely high above the ground, maybe as much as 150ft, but given the
elevation changes in this part of town that could be misleading.  We are
double checking all our gear and with our other departments within the
University.  We were thinking maybe the Chateau or one of the other
several new apartment buildings in the area could be the source and
thought we should give you all a heads up.

Thanks.