I think its just a matter of equipment compatibility. We have a 32-bit ASN and I think most new applicants get those. I had the same question when I joined ARIN and from what I found at the time, it didn't seem to matter. A quick google search on which to apply for resulted in this answer:

If you are using the latest equipment and software and your upstream provider supports 32-bit ASNs, apply for a 32-bit ASN. If you are using older equipment and software, apply for a 16-bit ASN.

 Josh Shields Technology Director, MyTELEPATH, Inc.
Support: (952) 400-6000 | Direct: (952) 400-6014
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]

 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  Blog