On 12/5/13, 18:47 , Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Anthony Anderberg
> > wrote:
>
>> Just so we're all clear:
>> The public graph is the aggregate graph that gets exported and linked
>> from our home page.  It's a stacked graph where everyone's piece is
>> the same green color, partially for simplicity but mostly to obscure
>> the details.
>> The graph Frank posted is a similar stacked graph, but I've broken the
>> traffic out a little (also its ingress vs egress as a way of checking
>> accuracy.)  This graph and the more detailed weathermap are password
>> protected, although admittedly the password is not particularly robust.
>> As Steve mentioned over the course of a couple UG meetings we'd
>> decided that members should be able to see the exchange's traffic
>> patterns, as they say sunlight can cure a great many things.
>
> We weren't present at the UG's and I don't recall a list discussion. I
> don't recall being asked.  It's non-standard for an IXP to do this. It
> should be opt in. I'd certainly like to opt out please.
>
>> To the original question, it looks like a number of us are up this
>> week – I was thinking it might be holiday shopping.
>> If anyone is on from Enventis they might want to consider upgrading
>> their port, looks like it's almost at capacity in the evening hours.
>

> If these are supposed to be behind lock and key, we failed.
>
> http://lists.iphouse.net/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1312&L=MICE-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=1337
> I'm not logged into anything and that's in the clear.

Marty,

There have been several discussions with the subject of stats, cacti
graphs, etc on the list, since you subscribed in late 2011.  So, it
shouldn't be a complete surprise.  But, I'll agree there wasn't a direct
discussion of what graphs and statistics should be kept discussed on the
list.

And, yes, it may have been bad form for Frank to post a graph on the
mailing list since it has a public archive.  But, there is a basic
password on the graphs themselves.

So, that brings up a few things it wouldn't hurt to discuss;

1. Should the list archive be public?

2. If not, what security should the list archive have?

3. What graphs and statistics should be collected?

4. Who should have access to what graphs and statistics?

5. What is the proper security for the graphs and statistics?

6. What is the proper etiquette regarding these graphs and statistics?

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: [log in to unmask]
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952