On Jan 3, 2015, at 16:34, Hannigan, Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 2015, at 14:17, Steve Howard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> On 01/02/2015 07:10 PM, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
>>> FYI,
>>>
>>> http://micelg.usinternet.com/export/graph_385.html shows in+out where http://micelg.usinternet.com/export/graph_384.html shows in/out. Which one should we use?
>>>
>>> I'd like to suggest that MICE follow OIX-1 with respect to agg and other stats:
>>>
>>> "The IXP MUST publish on a publicly available website the total sum of all incoming and outgoing traffic in bps from all connected networks on the public peering VLAN. The traffic sum MUST include the traffic on customer facing ports only and MUST be made up of 5 min average traffic
>>> measurements. A distinction MUST be made between the traffic on the public peering VLAN and
>>> any other interconnection service."
>>>
>>> Traffic "massiveness" isn't as important as how many ASNs are connected. Traffic is an unpredictable and unreliable indicator of an exchanges size and value. ASN counts are much more granular for potential peers to build a case to join.
>>
>> I think that each potential peer determines the value of an exchange
>> based upon their situation and business dynamics.  For providers like us
>> that mainly serve "eyeball" customers, traffic "massiveness" is probably
>> the most important value indicator.  Generally speaking, if my cost/bit
>> is cheaper or higher quality at an exchange than a transit provider,
>> then the more "massive" the better!  To the overwhelming majority of our
>> members/customers it doesn't matter whether the traffic comes from one
>> ASN or a thousand ASNs.
>
> Agreed. Aside from mass of traffic and ASNs, a good measure of success (for me) is creation of PNIs.  That requires traffic + ASN + good xcon costs (like 0).

Just so the guys that need to make the graphs know what they are being asked for;  are you asking for peer ASNs or origin ASNs reachable from the exchange?  Or, maybe both now that I think of it.

Happy 2015!!!
David Farmer               Email:[log in to unmask]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952