(Chiming in because storage and OS nerding)

Given the use case (safety > perf), perhaps the route server storage would be best matched by something like a sync-mounted file system, raid1 with no cache enabled, or read cache only with a forced write-through?

A pair of SLC-type SSD's with ext3/4, or XFS mounted 'sync' atop a write-through raid1 should still be entirely awesome and performant for the job of booting an OS and loading route-server binaries, and perhaps even soaking up a few syslog outputs...while being as 'safe' as the hardware allows.

If that sounds tempting, tell me where to fedex the ssd media & caddy adapters :)

-Tk