On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 06:51:00PM -0500, Jeremy Lumby wrote:
> The route servers operating system, and switches do not use the BGP routes from BIRD, therefore the return traffic goes via static route through IPHouse since they are donating bandwidth to manage the servers/switches externally since the MICE /24 does not exist on the internet.  If they were making changes this afternoon, that could explain it.

ipHouse did have some routing issues this afternoon during that time frame.
We found a lurking issue that had been sitting dormant for 2.5 years that
something flapped and it reared its ugly head.

As Jeremy said, the route reflectors run BIRD, and BIRD by design
doesn't install the routes into the routetable of the OS, although I
believe that is an option now-a-days.

The RR's are dual interfaced, one interface lives in ipHouse IP address space.
The other interface lives on the IXC netblock.

All the BGP talkers live on the IXC netblock too, so anything talking
BGP to them are just fine.

But, the RRs only can talk directly to 206.108.255.0/24, if you are
pinging it from beyond your interface to the IXC, it will default
route over ipHouse IP space out again, as it hasn't learned the routes
it talks, it has to route external back out.

Overall, I think the BIRD model works well, but depends on us not
having any issues..

                    ~.~ ipHouse ~.~