Why overthink it? Why not just ask for donations and see what happens?

On Nov 16, 2015, at 22:47, Justin Krejci <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

In an effort to not extend the UG discussion further on the "how to get MICE some money" topic today, and as specifically directed by the board, I am posting this idea to the mail list.

Given the suggestion of caution that MICE should use when discussing the process of raising funds, I propose the traditional method various associations use of voluntary/charitable donations. The "how much do you feel you and the community benefits from the existence and success of MICE?" approach. Then the little flyer cards with the check boxes next to various suggested dollar amounts is what comes to mind.

(hypothetical example)
[ ] - $100 / month
[ ] - $250 / month
[ ] - $500 / month
[ ] - $1000 / month
[ ] - $_____ / one-time

MICE could even make note of donor levels if we wanted to get fancy like at all the trade shows: platinum sponsors, gold, silver, tin, plastic, etc.
This could be an opt-in choice for donating members if they want to get a little sponsor reference to their website a la CentOS mirros (https://www.centos.org/download/mirrors/)

Yes, there are logistical issues that would need to be worked out: someone or something to generate payable invoices, the completion of MICE's non-profit status, someone to receive/process payments to MICE, etc. Given the collective knowledge and capabilities of all of the members involved, I don't think any such hurdles are insurmountable.

I believe some/many organizations would be willing to make or keep on making financial contributions, I know US Internet fits this category. I wonder how comfortable organizations that are against forced payment for MICE membership would be to contribute voluntarily to MICE in such a fashion. This would at least provide a way to start building some reliable capital vs the ad hoc method of "hey we need to pay the lawyer, can everyone pitch in?" method. I think it would be better to have the funds when needed than to ask for the funds when needed.

In any case, I hope to least get the ball rolling on the general topic of funding MICE.

Thoughts? Comments? Feedback?