Currently the cacti graph data is all physically stored in Minnetonka in the US Internet data center, where the server lives.
We have a dedicated VM instance currently for the MICE cacti server. This server (rrd files, mysql data, etc) is backed up to our own internal server backup system.
Adding additional MICE services to this VM are definitely acceptable: rancid, syslog, etc. if so requested by MICE.

This is perhaps getting deeper into implementation design than is appropriate at this point in the discussion but I suggest syslog data be sent and stored locally to the exchange to minimize the potential for data loss in the event of a network issue. Adding a secondary external syslog server might make sense too, such as to the Hoyos referenced VM offer, to the USI cacti server, etc. It could even be stored on a dedicated machine within the MICE network and then copied off site as well: syslog can do this in real time, other files/data could be rsynced or similar on the same backup job, a traditional backup application could be used, etc.

From: MICE Discuss [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Andrew Hoyos [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MICE-DISCUSS] VM donation- change control/graph data backup

Hi folks,

One of the things that was discussed in the meeting yesterday as change control and config backups. Perhaps along those same lines, we should think about also backing up the graph data somewhere. I’m not sure where any of this data physically lives right now, but perhaps it would make sense to put somewhere *other* than the 511 bldg.

I’d like to offer up a VM donation located in Madison, WI to at least run RANCID to grab config backups of the IX switches, as well as a backup target for any data (graphs, route-server config, etc).

Effort involved should be minimal, but we’d happily take point on getting RANCID set up and configured as well, and sending diffs to the technical committee, as well as whomever else might see value in seeing config changes happen (perhaps a list?)

Let me know, and we’ll make it happen.

--
Andrew Hoyos