I agree with the MICE-TECH list just to protect some of the configuration discussion. Perhaps we could say that any member can request the history at any time?  I also think we would have to be sure to post planned changes, or at least notifications, to the discuss list as we do now.

[log in to unmask]" style="border:0; width:0; height:0; overflow:hidden;" width="0" height="0">[log in to unmask]" style="border:0; width:0; height:0; overflow:hidden;" width="0" height="0">

Shaun Carlson
Senior Manager of Information Technology |
Arvig
ph: (218) 346-8673 | em: [log in to unmask]" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Andrew Hoyos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2015, at 11:20 AM, Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 09:38:16AM -0600, Andrew Hoyos wrote:
>> I’d like to offer up a VM donation located in Madison, WI to at least run RANCID to grab config backups of the IX switches, as well as a backup target for any data (graphs, route-server config, etc).
>
> Sure. Although I do have some backups of the main switch/bird configs located here
> in my location (not at 511, but still Minneapolis). I have considered
> adding the configs I touch to my RANCID, but didn't find enough value I suppose.

I think one of the things that was touched on in the meeting yesterday was change control. RANCID diffs running on a 15/30 minute basis could be a cheap verification.
Probably even from multiple places wouldn’t hurt.

> I already had a tech list setup (MICE-TECH), but then I started
> thinking about who should have access to what, and what should be an
> archive (public? Semi-public?) of tech discussions, vs. something that
> may have a little sensitive value (ie. config snippets with SNMP
> communities, CoPP firewall rules, etc.). vs. most of it (ie. BGP setup
> & questions/problems).

I’d support this, and would happily participate in these discussions. Maybe just a members only list, added only by someone in some official capacity?
Private archives would solve some issue there, and RANCID will by default, redact passwords/community strings.