Forwarded from MICE-DISCUSS as requested.

================
From: Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MICE-DISCUSS] Route Server BGP communities (& OS upgrades) - 5/22/2016
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 11:11:38 -0500

Thanks to Chih Chen's help at the U of Wisc, I have testing done for
phase1 of the BGP communities exporting that have been requested.
(Phase2 would be doing prepends, but I'll have to lab up that
functionality as I saw the export function grow 10 times or so before
I stopped).  Most of the delay was waiting for others to test with me.

I plan on implementing this MICE site wide on Sunday, 5/22/2016,
starting at around 10:00PM - 11:59PM.

All the testing looked good to us during testing, the functions
behaved as expected. This function is an expansion of what was tested
before.  ipHouse has had this export function on it since the end of
winter.

It is written to properly handle 32-bit ASNs (I believe, that part was
provided by the BIRD WIKI author). And of course IPv4 and IPv6 make no
difference.

The communities supported by this setup will include

    0:peerAS     -- Don't export route prefix to this peer.
    53679:peerAS -- Always export route prefix to this peer.
    0:53679      -- Don't export route prefix to all MICE peers.

The steps of actually implementing this would be non-eventful, but I
know some will want to drop for it.

ALSO, we really should upgrade the OS that is running the route
servers too.  So I'll be doing OS updates and other upgrades that will
upgrade BIRD as well in the same window. BIRD moves from 1.4.5 ->
1.5.0. The release notes say it mostly is OSPF changes, I expect no
problems in this update, BIRD has been very stable, and the OS has
been stable in production use here.

Thanks.

                    ~.~ ipHouse ~.~