On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Nevin Lyne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Something like this actually I think helps equality for people/companies
> like mine where we do not have a need of direct ports on the exchange, but
> indirectly benefit from the exchange and would like to both support the
> exchange and have some say (a vote) as a member of the exchange. Currently
> I can't be a voting member of the exchange unless I have an active port,
> which I don't need, but we actively donate resources and hardware to the
> exchange.
>
> -Nevin
>
> -- Nevin Lyne
> -- Founder & Director of Technology
> -- Arcustech, LLC. - arcustech.com
> -- Gippy's Internet Solutions, LLC. - enginehosting.com

I added paying member dues in addition to being attached as a membership
requirement for two reasons;

1. It ensures at least some minimal financial contribution by everyone
participating in the governance of the exchange.

2. And, by requiring an additional action beyond simply connecting to be a
member, organizations that can't or simply don't want to be part of the
governance can connect and exchange traffic, without causing issues for
themselves or the good governance of the exchange.

If a network that never intends to participate in the governance is counted
as part of the membership, that will mess with quorum for meetings.

I very much appreciate your participation and donations and wish there was
a good way to give you and others like you a vote in the governance of the
exchange. However, requiring a network attached to the exchange for
membership provides important protections.  It helps prevent hostile or
malicious takeovers. If sponsors got a vote simply by donating money,
anyone with sufficient money could essentially stuff the ballot box.  Less
conspiratorial, it helps ensure that those governing the exchange, are
tightly bound to the consequences of their decisions, which is usually a
good thing from a governance perspective.

If you have suggestions to safely allow broader participation I'd love to
hear them.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:[log in to unmask]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952