I'm a little "late to the party" for this discussion, but I'd like to add a few of my thoughts:

First off, I'd like to thank Dave for coming up with great ideas and points for discussion.

MICE is a cooperative (not a charity).  As a cooperative, we need to treat everybody equally.  I feel that everybody should have to pay membership dues at some level, perhaps an amount based upon port size.  If we fail to require the payment of dues, we will have different classes of users and the potential for discontent as some people don't pay their fair share.  Like Martin said, "Classes create inequities".  If people don't pay, they need to be disconnected (after a reasonable grace period).  The dollar amounts due will likely be very small, the exchange has gotten by without any payments required for several years.  I don't think that the fees that would need to be charged would be anything that an organization connecting to the exchange cannot absorb.  If they can't handle ~$9/month (using Dave's example numbers), they won't be around long in this industry.

I agree with Richard Laager's points about enforcement.  We need to enforce whatever policy is decided.  I don't like any scenario where the board might have the option to waive fees.  That will create the feeling of the "good 'ol boy" system.

I also think that all newly connected members should get their initial connect period free, primarily as a sales tool.  I'd like to give new members a chance to "try before you buy" to see if it works for them.  Perhaps we bill annually and they don't pay until the next billing cycle starts (or some variation thereof)?  Until they pay, they should be subject to their port being assigned to somebody else, not be official members, and not able to vote.

How do we handle members that are connected to remote switches?  Is the switch owner the member?  The downstream users?  Both?  Who pays the port charges?  Only the switch owner?

Steve