> I very much appreciate your participation and donations and wish there was
> a good way to give you and others like you a vote in the governance of the
> exchange. However, requiring a network attached to the exchange for
> membership provides important protections.  It helps prevent hostile or
> malicious takeovers. If sponsors got a vote simply by donating money,
> anyone with sufficient money could essentially stuff the ballot box.  Less
> conspiratorial, it helps ensure that those governing the exchange, are
> tightly bound to the consequences of their decisions, which is usually a
> good thing from a governance perspective.

Forgive me I likely read something slightly wrong, pain meds from oral surgery can do that. That does make sense.

> If you have suggestions to safely allow broader participation I'd love to
> hear them.

For cases like mine there could be a two part process

a) I am indirectly part of the network as we are connected to a network of a member, IPHouse. We have both IP space from them, and they announce our own IP ranges via BGP for us. So traffic to our web hosting clients are routed via MICE to us via IPHouse's connection to MICE. We are also a large user of CloudFlare, and an Optimized Hosting Partner of theirs supplying a second connection to some degree of how traffic routes through MICE members to our clients. Just showing a case in how we could be seen as a connected member though not currently directly through our own port on the exchange.

b) For a case like this that a sponsor can show a direct routing of traffic to them through a connected member, could leave it up to a vote of existing members if that sponsor qualifies enough to be a member? Regardless of sponsorship level.

Just as you pointed out that some members of the exchange may not want to do anything to exchange traffic and not deal with governance you may have cases of a company that passes traffic over the exchange because of routing through a member's port and do want to be involved with a vote as what the exchange does, does impact traffic to my network too.

Again semantics at this point as this of course is just the start of how your suggestion might work as a membership model, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there, again though I am not an official member of the exchange but have been involved from early on in the exchange to some degree.

-Nevin

-- Nevin Lyne
-- Founder & Director of Technology
-- Arcustech, LLC. - arcustech.com
-- Gippy's Internet Solutions, LLC. - enginehosting.com