I fully support this model as well. (see: https://www.seattleix.net/join)

The large expenditures of new equipment are all member growth or new member driven. Recouping a 1/nth portion of those switch upgrade costs per member, plus some small overhead for the rest, seems to be a totally viable model and has worked well for SIX. (plus donations). The rest of the expense side of the house is pennies in comparison.

For those that don’t think an IX can be driven, at least partially by donations, maybe review this as well: https://www.seattleix.net/contributors

This simplifies things on the backend too:
- one time payment vs monthly deposits via multiple methods that someone on MICE board would need to manage for 60+ members
- members joining the IX have an easy sell internally of one time fee vs MRC above and beyond a cross connect (always infinitely harder to justify)

Solves the root issue of new members and more bandwidth (higher speed ports) driving growth, and doesn’t penalize the little guys.

Remote switches can charge their own rates, however, still need to pay the main core switch port costs. (https://www.seattleix.net/rules)

--
Andrew Hoyos