On Sep 20, 2016, at 8:29 AM, Doug McIntyre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There are ways to tell which is the "active" path through the rings, as I
> stated before, I think one path is mainly "active" and one is mainly passive.
> I don't know if just disabling one VCP port will work.

Let’s figure out of a common VCP port first. Like I said before, this ‘path’ is based on src/dst interfaces in the VC, and the selection algorithm is SPF based (but factors in actual PFE hops on each switch - internal to each switch is a PFE chip controlling a set of ports with a fabric between that is also used for VC - it’s not as simple as FPC0 -> FPC1 -> FPC2)

What say:

‘show virtual-chassis vc-path source-interface ge-1/0/15 destination-interface xe-0/0/14’
 (original issue of AITech to USInternet - loss evident)
‘show virtual-chassis vc-path source-interface ge-1/0/11 destination-interface xe-0/0/8’
 (MNVoip to Charter - loss evident)

‘show virtual-chassis vc-path source-interface ge-1/0/15 destination-interface xe-2/0/11’
 (AITech to UW Madison - no loss evident)

If there is a common VCP port on the two paths where loss was evident, it’d probably be easier and less intrusive to disable that port during a maintenance window, test, then re-enable. IIRC that active path failover command is for *.

'request virtual-chassis vc-port member 1 set interface vcp-X disable'

--
Andrew Hoyos