All,

Agreed to a point.  But the back plane is several Terrabits.  Possibly alleviating the current situation.  A pair would be nice, but since the chassis' can have up to four power supplies and multiple PFEs we'd be redundant to the port as we are currently.  Chaining devices still continues to provide enigmatic problems and solutions.  Where a chassis would be a better solution all round, including providing the possibility for 40/100 Gig connections, especially to the Content providers.  Chassis architecture can provide some degree of assistance in the current meta and distribution, the main point I would make is the chassis provides a flexible future.

I do agree, a full suite of EX4550's with the 128Gig vpc connections would be a solution to our current dilemmas.

Thank you,

Levi Pederson
Mankato Networks LLC
cell | 612.481.0769
work | 612.787.7392

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Mike Horwath <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 09:49:48AM -0500, Levi Pederson wrote:

> A full chassis 8200 and 9200 would be a solid upgrade for all
> pertinent points.

I don't agree.

Cost per port is high compared to running with 4500/45550 setup and
can stack 10 deep as it is.

Get another pair of 4500/4550 (as it is now) and transition the
current people off of the 4200 onto the ports there. This will make it
so that the stack is 100% 10Gbe with VC ports creating the mesh.

Also, 8200/9200 won't fit in the current space given to the endeavor
today. And you'd want a pair, right?

4500 -> 4550 -> 4550 -> 4500 (loop back to 4500) for the rings.

--
Mike Horwath, reachable via [log in to unmask]