All,

I was unaware of the 5200.  That sounds like a great solution depending interconnect solutions etc.

Thank you,

Levi Pederson
Mankato Networks LLC
cell | 612.481.0769
work | 612.787.7392

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Andrew Hoyos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Sep 20, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Levi Pederson <[log in to unmask]NET> wrote:

> Agreed to a point.  But the back plane is several Terrabits.  Possibly alleviating the current situation.  A pair would be nice, but since the chassis' can have up to four power supplies and multiple PFEs we'd be redundant to the port as we are currently.  Chaining devices still continues to provide enigmatic problems and solutions.  Where a chassis would be a better solution all round, including providing the possibility for 40/100 Gig connections, especially to the Content providers.

Kinda - but each slot on a 9200 has a 240gbps full duplex connection to the backplane. That’s 2 100g ports per slot non-oversub’d, leaving you a handful of 100g ports for alot of space + power.

For the 32 port 10g cards, it leaves those oversub’d, and that’s where you’d likely see the traffic (10g ports -> higher bandwidth ports being used by content providers).

Not to mention the space/power vs a couple 1RU boxes that have a scalable fabric by adding more 40/100g connections to the mix for the fabric. (i.e.: QFX5200 can have 32 100g ports in 1RU) *or* something like the Arista where you have 3.something tbps for each slot, and the capability for 36 100g ports in 1 slot (vs 2).

--
Andrew Hoyos