On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 01:35:06AM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 01:20:45PM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> > We're going to upgrade the core MICE 10G switches coming up this week
> > on Wednesday night/ Thursday morning at 12:30AM-1:00AM CDT on 27 October.
>
> The upgrade is NOT going as planned, and we discovered our maintenance
> support has run out again, and JTAC will not help us (even at a pay
> per-incidence event). In fact, since the EX4500 has reached EOL, (although
> not EOM), and we let the contract expire, Juniper says we will be unable to
> renew maintenance support on the EX4500 at all.
>
> I'm looking at ways to bring the VC cluster fully back online now.
>
> If it comes down to it, I should have non-production hardware that could
> temporarily go in.

Okay, I'm going to have to drive in.

Right now, the state of things.

The primary boot partition on the EX4500 took a digger, so we have bad
hardware. I was able to boot off the backup boot partition on the
EX4500, but this is still the older software version since I was in
the middle of the upgrade and the upgrade process didn't get to the
2nd partition to upgrade it yet.

The virtual chassis is now split version, which means VC won't work.

Furthmore, networking is not working on either unit, even to the OOB.

I am going to have to drive in to be physically in front of the box.

I have two plans of attack. I will put the install image on a USB
drive and load it off USB onto the unit. IIRC, having done this
before long ago, this takes *ages* to do.

If I can get both units happy with the same software versions, VC can
reestablish, and things can go along.

I also have two EX4550's not-in-production right now, I'll bring them
along just in case. If things are really to the point of no return on
the EX4500, I can put in one or two and bring them up, restoring the
saved configs onto them. Of course, things will have to shuffle a little
then. This will delay me a bit in unmounting them from where they are,
but I think it is a safe backup plan.

Another option would be to make the EX4550 standalone, but I have to
unhook the VC cables before this can happen, and it only helps along
a portion of the members. I don't think this is worthwhile to pursue.

So, it'll be another hour before I can get downtown to my place, get
hardware, and get over to 511.

                    ~.~ ipHouse ~.~